MA101 Scary Story Challenge – Open for Submissions!
So this October, for the first time, MA101 will be experimenting with a reader submissions contest.
I have a few scary stories of my own that I’d like to share, but I thought they would look better in company, so I’m throwing the doors open! Send me your scary stories and we’ll run them on the blog in the week running up to Halloween. I’ll even sweeten the pot with some delicious Wisconsin prizes.
- Story must be original, an either never published anywhere else or be one that you definitely own all the rights to and can republish freely — I have no desire to find myself wrangling with someone’s agent as a result of this!
- 5,000 words max. Blog readers have limited attention span, as the few of you still reading this far know.
- Submissions must be received no later than Sunday, October 28 (earlier is better).
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winner will be determined by a group of hard-drinking Wisconsinites, possibly by some arbitrary method such as beer pong with labeled cups.
- First prize will be your choice of potables: some local apple brandy or whiskey, fair-trade organic coffee, or tea from our local teahouse!
- Anyone who participates is welcome to claim a MA101 guest post for their blog or website if they like — up to 2,500 words, any topic you like. A $75 value at $0.03 per word, which some foolish people do actually pay me!
I’ll leave how “scary” the story is up to you — make some effort toward a spooky feeling and I’m happy. Submissions will be posted in the order the arrive, starting on Monday, October 29. If we run a few days past Halloween, hey, we’ve still got Day of the Dead in early November. I’m happy to include a link to your blog, website, Amazon page, Etsy store, or whatever else you like with your story when I post it — just include that information when you e-mail your story in.
Feel free to pass this on to any friends, relatives, or fellow writers you know who might be interested in a writing challenge, a free blog post of dubious quality, or just some strong Wisconsin apple brandy (seriously, it’s good stuff). I have a few filler stories of my own so I don’t look totally silly if no one joins in…but you all would never do that to me, right?